Department of Parks and Recreation
99 Adams Street
Manassas Park, VA 20111
League Rules and Game Regulations
13-17 Age division
The following is a list of rules that differ from VHSL. These rules will be in effect for the games.
- 13-17 year olds will play 2-20 minute halves with a 3 minute half time. They will play full court 5 on 5 with regulation baskets and a regulation size 29.5 ball. Games can be played on Saturdays, and weeknights.
- 3 point shots – Count in this age division.
- Free Throw Line – Use regulation line.
- Backboard Height – 10 feet
- Bench Location – Team benches will be located opposite of spectators, with parents and team benches not exceeding past the first hash mark on the court. Only two designated coaches per team allowed on the sideline, and they must remain within the hash marks.
- Substitution –X marks the spot. Players must check in at the center court opposite the scorer’s table and remain on the spot until subbed.
- Referees – Two officials will be used. Officials have final say, and may override scorekeeper. They should arrive 15 minutes before tip off. The officials must sign the scorebook for ages 6-15.
- Scorekeepers Duties – Collect rosters from coaches and record them into designated scorebook. Communicate with coaches and officials, and notify officials of substitution (if applicable.) Keep score by player and running score, record fouls (if applicable,) and notify officials and coaches if player has fouled out.
- Clock – 20 min. running clock will be used. Clock will stop within last two minutes of first and second half for dead balls, i.e. fouls, out of bounds, timeouts. Clock stops for all serious injuries and blood.
- Fouls – A player receiving their 6th foul will foul out.
- Timeout –Clock stops for all timeouts. Two 60 second timeouts per half.
- Substitutions – Substitutions may be made at half time, during any timeout, during multiple free-throws (if applicable,) dead ball, or injury. Any player dismissed for uniform or equipment must be re-checked by the official before re-entering a dead ball. Player with an injury requiring coach intervention must leave the court, but may re-enter during the next dead ball. Players showing bodily fluids or potentially contagious conditions must leave the game, and may not return. Players losing consciousness need a doctor’s note to return to any league function, practice or game.
- Forfeit, due to lack of players – If a team does not have five players to start the game, they will be allowed to play with four players. The opposing team does not have to use four players. If a team has less than four players, the game will be a forfeit. There will be a five minute grace period. If after that five minutes, there is still not enough participants to field a team then it will be considered a forfeit. A team must have 5 players by the end of half time to continue otherwise they will forfeit the game due to lack of players.
- Maintaining of books and scoreboard – Each game it is up to the coach to find a parent or asst. coach to keep track of the scoreboard and the books.
- Uniforms – Players must wear rubber/non-marking soled shoes and must wear league jersey. Braces/casts must be covered with soft padding and be approved by the official before the game. Head decorations, barrettes, hats, jewelry or anything related may not be worn in practices or games with the exceptions of religious medals and customs. Long fingernails, long hairs, hair that is beaded or braided pose potential injury and must be wrapped or pulled back to insure the safety of all players.
- Overtime – There is to be NO overtime. Games will end in a tie.3 Minute overtime in playoffs. Each team will receive 1 timeout for overtime.
- Pressing – May full-court press up to a 25 point lead then they must go back to half-court press.
- Back Court Rules – Must advance the ball over half court within 10 seconds; however it is the official’s discretion whether or not to turn over possession.
- 5 Second Rule – When possession is in the frontcourt the ball handler may not hold or dribble the ball for longer then 5 seconds.
- 3 Second Lane Violation – Will be in effect
- Technical Fouls – If an official awards a technical foul to a coach or player, the opposing team will be awarded free throws as it pertains to the infraction and half court possession to restart. If the coach or player receives a second technical foul in the same game, they will be removed from the game and serve an additional one game suspension. If an official awards a technical foul to a parent or spectator a) 1st technical foul they must leave the facility for the day regardless of children or siblings; b) 2nd technical foul in a season, they will be removed from the game plus the next scheduled game and practice; c) 3rd technical foul they will removed from all league functions for the remainder of the season without refund.
- Restarts – Regular rules apply at the officials’ discretion.
- Excessive difference in score– In the event that one team is leading in score by more than 25 points in the game, the clock will run continuously in the second half even under 2 minutes.
- League Web site – Will give updates, highlights, scores, inclement weather notification, and rules and regulations, http://mpccbasketball.com
- Conduct – Sportsmanlike conduct is expected at all times. There will be no yelling at players at the free-throw line, etc. A handshake at the end of each competition is also expected.
- The department and league reserves the right to review all of its rules and regulations and act on them based on need and applicability.