The following is a list of rules that differ from VHSL. These rules will be in effect for the games.
- 4-5 year olds will play a ½ hour game situation. They will play 4 on 4 with six-foot hoops, using a youth size ball. The court boundaries will be the half court and base lines. All games and practices will take place Friday nights. The practices will be the first ½ hour, and the game will be the second ½ hour. No score will be kept, and the coaches will be the officials. Teams only meet once a week. This age bracket is strictly instructional!
- 3 point shots – Do not count in this age division.
- Free Throw Line – This age does not shoot free throws.
- Backboard Height – Six feet
- Bench Location – Team benches will be located opposite of spectators, with parents and team benches not exceeding past the first hash mark on the court. Only two designated coaches per team allowed on the sideline, and they must remain within the hash marks.
- Substitution – During a dead ball or when coaches deem necessary.
- Referees – Coaches are officials.
- Scorekeepers Duties – Collect rosters from coaches and record them into designated scorebook. Players do not have numbers. Communicate with coaches and officials, and notify officials of substitution (if applicable.)
- Clock – 30:00 minute running clock will be used. For serious injuries/blood the clock will stop for timeout.
- Timeout – Does not apply for 4/5’s
- Substitutions – Substitutions may be made at half time, during any timeout, during multiple free-throws (if applicable,) dead ball, or injury. Any player dismissed for uniform or equipment must be re-checked by the official before re-entering a dead ball. Player with an injury requiring coach intervention must leave the court, but may re-enter during the next dead ball. Players showing bodily fluids or potentially contagious conditions must leave the game, and may not return. Players losing consciousness need a doctor’s note to return to any league function, practice or game.
- Uniforms – Players must wear rubber/non-marking soled shoes and must wear league jersey. Braces/casts must be covered with soft padding and be approved by the official before the game. Head decorations, barrettes, hats, jewelry or anything related may not be worn in practices or games with the exceptions of religious medals and customs. Long fingernails, long hairs, hair that is beaded or braided pose potential injury and must be wrapped or pulled back to insure the safety of all players.
- Overtime – There will NOT be any overtimes this year!
- Pressing – Does not apply for 4/5’s
- Back Court Rules – Does not apply for 4/5’s
- 5 Second Rule – Does not apply for 4/5’s
- 3 Second Lane Violation – Does not apply for 4/5’s
- Technical Fouls – Does not apply for 4/5’s
- Restarts – Does not apply for 4/5’s
- Conduct – Sportsmanlike conduct is expected at all times. There will be no yelling at players at the free-throw line, etc. A handshake at the end of each competition is also expected. Violations to the code of conduct or of the City of Manassas Park’s department rules and regulations may result in disciplinary actions as defined in the MPYBL Code of Conduct
- The department and league reserves the right to review all of its rules and regulations and act on them based on need and applicability.